What is HTML?
- HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language, which is the most widely used language on Web to develop web sites/pages.
- HTML introduced in late 1991 by Berners-Lee .
- In 1995 first standard HTML specification (HTML 2.0) published.
- In 1999 major version of HTML – (HTML 4.01) realised
- In 2014 (HTML 5) version – realised.
What is Hypertext?
- Hypertext refers to the way in which Web pages are linked together. Thus the link available on a webpage are called Hypertext.
What is Markup Language?
- As its name tells, HTML is a Markup Language which means we use HTML to simply “mark up” a text document with tags that tell a Web browser how to structure it to display.
Importance of HTML
- HTML is the basic skeleton of a website.
- HTML help you create a basic template to communicate information over the world wide web.
- HTML is free of charge and no need to install any software.
- Browser Compatibility – all major browsers support HTML.
- Most development tools whatever they are paid or free all support HTML.
- Whatever content you see on web page is attained through HTML.
- Whether it is php, jsp, asp or any other web development language at the end their tags are converted to html tags. So without HTML we can not do anything on webpage.All browsers are made to understand HTML tags .The purpose of a web browser (Chrome, IE, Firefox, Safari) is to read HTML documents and display them.
- The browser does not display the HTML tags, but uses them to determine how to display the document.
Basic Structure of HTML
<!DOCTYPE html> <html> <head> <title>This is a title</title> </head> <body> <p>Hello World</p> </body> </html>
- The Document Type Declaration <!DOCTYPE html> is for HTML5.
- The code between <html> and </html> tags describes the web page.
- The code between <body> and </body> is the visible page content.
- The markup text “<title>This is a title</title>” defines the browser page title.
File Extension of HTML
Comment Line in HTML
Comment tag in HTML is done through
<!– Your Comment Here — >